IMPORTANT INFORMATION: this role is not suitable for people who do not want to live in Australia. You can work in our head office in Melbourne or may be able to work remotely while located in Australia. All applicants may be considered for all open engineering roles across the Envato (Envato Market, Envato Tuts+, Envato Studio, etc.).
- Unique scale for an Australian business, world's 4th largest Ruby App by traffic
- Continuously deployed up to 20 times a day!
- Work from anywhere in Australia or from HQ in Melbourne at one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
We're continuing to grow our team and we're looking for developers who would love the opportunity to work at Australia's premier Ruby development company. We work in small cross functional teams with a variety of skills and experience so, whether you're a passionate Ruby newbie or you've worked at our scale before, we'd love to hear from you.
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, Envato is the leading marketplace for creative assets and creative people. With more than 300 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $300 Million. Millions of people around the world choose our marketplace, studio and courses to buy files, hire freelancers, or learn the skills needed to build websites, videos, apps, graphics and more. You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
Recently, JobAdvisor awarded us the title of Australia's Coolest Company for Women and Diversity (2015 and 2016). We were also named as one of the Best Places to Work in Australia in the 2015 and 2016 BRW Awards.
A little bit more about the role
A Senior Developer provides technical and delivery leadership for a team of developers working on specific projects. This role will work with stakeholders and other developers to design and implement technical solutions for the business in a way that balances quality, cost, time and maintainability.
You'll be required to take responsibility for delivery of larger projects, lead multiple projects at once and support others by managing and mentoring other team members across various projects and day to day tasks.
What you'll be doing
- Writing clean, well thought out and reliable code
- Participating as a member of a small cross functional team containing members with different skills and experience
- You'll work on big projects, small maintenance tasks, server management tasks and anything else that makes software our customers love
- Taking lots of responsibility for your work as most teams don't have analysts, testers or system administrators
- Taking part in our 24/7 on call rotation supporting one of the biggest web sites in the world
- Be a nice person who cares about their work
- Communicate well in person and in writing
- Be a curious person committed to continual learning
- Be capable of writing clean, well thought out, and reliable code
- Be comfortable working on a project from the original fuzzy brief through development and deployment and beyond with minimal oversight required
- Be comfortable in a Linux software development and deployment environment
- Have commercial Ruby on Rails experience
- Have solid TDD/BDD experience
- Have experience of other high volume/scale web apps
- Contribute to Open Source projects
- Past experience in other agile environments
- Excellent Linux knowledge
- Commercial experience with AWS
- Experience with EventSourced/CQRS architectures a bonus
What We've Got
A Great Team and Culture
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they're working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We were recently named Australia's Coolest Tech Company by JobAdvisor and one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from experienced Ruby Developers who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the application questions. Good luck!