IMPORTANT INFORMATION: this role is not suitable for people who do not want to live in Australia. You can work in our head office in Melbourne or may be able to work remotely while located in Australia. All applicants may be considered for all open engineering roles across the Envato (Envato Market, Envato Tuts+, Envato Studio, etc.).
- Leadership opportunity in Envato Engineering.
- Create & drive the Technical Vision for an entire division of Envato (multiple teams)
- Named Australia's Coolest Company for Women & one of the Best Places to Work
We're continuing to grow our team and we're looking for a Development Lead who would love the opportunity to work at Australia's premier Ruby development company. We work in small cross functional teams with a variety of skills and experience so, whether you're a passionate Ruby newbie or you've worked at our scale before, we'd love to hear from you.
Headquartered in Melbourne, Australia, Envato is the leading marketplace for creative assets and creative people. With more than 270 staff and contractors worldwide, we've helped a community of creative sellers earn more than $400 Million. Millions of people around the world choose our marketplace, studio and courses to buy files, hire freelancers, or learn the skills needed to build websites, videos, apps, graphics and more. You might be surprised to know that not only do we run some of the biggest websites in the world; we’re also growing really fast!
Can you Meet the Expectations of Envato's Engineering Team?
At Envato, our Engineers expect certain things of each other. Not all of these are easy to uphold. Are you ready to join the team and meet the expectations of your peers at Envato? Read about the expectations and how they were developed by our team on our technical blog.
What you'll be doing
You will be working in Envato’s Content engineering team, which build and operate the delivery of saleable content to our online marketplaces. Our development teams provide tooling for our sellers, called Authors, as well as internal stakeholders like our Author Success team. We also apply large scale processes and machine learning to manage the relevance, quality, and metadata of our entire content library, encompassing tens of millions of items.
As a Development Team Lead, your role will be to lead one of the engineering teams in the group. A typical delivery team has 3-7 engineers, and often specialist roles such as UX. You’ll be responsible for the team’s delivery of initiatives, as well as line management of the engineers in the team. On the technical side, you will provide technical leadership and drive technical decisions and solutions. You’ll also take ownership of the systems your team builds, which includes managing costs, risks, architecture, and operations.
What we’re looking for
- Substantial people management, team leadership and mentoring experience of at least two years
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Proven effective in working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, ideally using Agile processes
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment requiring adaptability
- Displays integrity and ethical behaviour; interacts fairly, honestly and professionally in all business dealings
- Ability to increase the team’s output without slipping quality
- Ability to establish relationships and work with other business teams (support, marketing, legal, etc.)
- Ability to take and give constructive feedback
- Will promote the team within the local and global development communities
- Can display honesty, openness, fairness, transparency, and integrity in line with the Envato values
What We've Got
A Great Team and Culture
- Developers are responsible for features from inception through to them being in the hands of customers. The devs talk directly to customers about what they're working on
- We do continuous delivery properly: any team member can deploy, and we regularly do several deploys a day
- We publish portions of our code as open source, and contribute back to open source projects we use
- We were recently named Australia's Coolest Tech Company by JobAdvisor and one of the Best Places to Work in Australia
- A fantastic culture of creatively minded, hard working people who are passionate about Envato and being part of its growth and success
- Flexible working conditions – we want you to love your work but also your life outside of Envato
- We actively work on creating a safe, inclusive environment free from discrimination
- In addition to hiring for our Melbourne CBD office, we will also consider applications from those who would like to work remotely (Australia wide)
- Future career progression will be available across the entire business - we're big on internal opportunities and professional growth!
Who should apply?
We care deeply about diversity at Envato, and welcome applicants of all types, and from all backgrounds. If you think you have the skills and experience needed for this role then we'd like to hear from you.
Submit a cover letter, an up to date copy of your resume and answers to the application questions. Good luck!